Online education and resources for lay people, accessed locally through our Presbytery.
The Presbytery has a commitment to making learning opportunities available across the presbytery.
There is now a set of resources developed by the VicTas Synod eLM that are available in an online format on the UCA Assembly’s Uniting Learning Platform (UL). Everyone in the VicTas Synod has access to these resources through their Presbytery.
The Presbytery of North East Victoria ia setting up a series of learning hubs across the presbytery. You can of course download the resources and study at home, but the learning hubs will allow you to learn as part of a group, with the support of a mentor, close to where you live.
Suggested opportunities for accessing training or resources in your local area include:
- Lay Preacher candidates looking to begin or continue your study
- Current Lay Preachers looking for some continuing education
- Pastors in placement needing to do some education to meet the Worship and Preaching competencies
- someone undertaking a Period of Discernment and looking for some learning
- Worship leaders looking for some training
- Ministers or a Pastor placement looking for resources to support education in your congregation/s
- home group leaders looking for some challenging resources
- someone looking to deepen their faith in God, and knowledge about the Bible, theology, worship, etc
Six Regional Computers and Conferencing Facilities
The Presbytery has purchased six laptop computers which will be located in strategic centres across the Presbytery; Benalla, Echuca, Seymour, Shepparton, Wangaratta and Wodonga. Conferencing cameras have also been purchased to enhance the experience of being part of a single group even though those attending may be dispersed across the North East region and beyond. Each computer has had identical conferencing software, Microsoft Office and operating systems installed and have been set up for remote assistance if needed.
The computers and communications software will have much broader use than the Learning Hub and should facilitate membership of and attendance at Committees, Presbytery Meetings, workshops and training events.
New Testament Studies
An introductory, faith deepening, and discipling forming course in the New Testament.
Preaching and Sermon Preparation
A course on learning how to preach and the place of preaching in worship.
A course for anyone who wants to know more about worship in the Uniting Church.
“WOULDN’T HAVE GUESSED IN A MILLION YEARS THAT I’D HAVE STARTED THIS COURSE LET ALONe HOW I’D BEEN CHALLENGED BY THE TASKS OF LEARNING OUTWARDLY AND INWARDLY TOO. IT’S BEEN A VERY BROADENING AND DEEPENING TIME IN MY LIFE …”
Want to know more?
If you are interested in being involved, contact:
- Brian Spencer, Education, Resources and Innovation Support Minister. email@example.com
- Rev Loni Vaitohi, Chair Mission and Education Committee. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joan McRae, Convenor Lay Preachers Committee. email@example.com
Visit the Synod website: Lay Education Online Learning Click here to go to the Synod website
Please note: These resources are recognised by the Assembly for Lay Preacher and Pastor placement training. They are not accredited by Pilgrim Theological College. If you are looking for courses that are accredited by an educational body, please check out Pilgrim’s web page for great upcoming courses. You will find some online ones, as well as in class!